Umbrals are negative aspects of a Facet. When added to an Annex you may add the Facet's Nimbed Value (including the Scale modifier to Boon) to the Value of the Annex, this increases the Annex's Boon and makes it more powerful. However, the Umbral will also restrict the Annex somehow through one of the Umbral Variants.
- NEED: Which must be met before the Annex can activate.
- LIMIT: Which describes a circumstance under which the Annex Score is Halved.
- SACRIFICE: Which is a Cost that must be paid before the Annex can Activate.
- SPECIAL: Which is some sort of special rule.
It is worth noting that each Annex may have only one Umbral of each type (and a total of Four Umbrals at most).
It is also worth noting that when Umbrals affect Handicaps the Annex Boon is the Handicap Boon.
Awe ___ ♦
- NEED: Must be in a specific Emotional state to activate (e.g. Happy).
- LIMIT: Emotional effects only or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Spiritual (Awe Umbral Boon Reduced Yang).
- SPECIAL: Audience (must have an Audience of at least Annex Boon Double Reduced as Yarn: e.g Boon 50 = 15-51 people)
- FOCUS: Annex affects Target's Personality Annex by preference
- EXPAND: Art, add One Card Psychological Test (Fear).
- REWARD: Spiritual (Gain Awe Nimbed Boon Reduced Chi).
- TRICK: Artistry, when playing any Ace immediately Draw and Play an additional card.
Burden _ _ ♣
- NEED: Prop, must have a specific Physical Descendant (of cost at least equal to Annex Boon Reduced) that is not in GRT to activate.
- LIMIT: Physical effects only or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Wealth (Annex Boon Double Reduced Chi)
- SPECIAL: Slow, add Burden Umbral Boon Reduced to Annex's RT.
- FOCUS: Annex affects Target's Physical Descendants by preference
- EXPAND: Echoes, one card played during Annex action may be recovered played again during GRT
- REWARD: Wealth (Gain Burden Nimbed Boon Reduced Chi)
- TRICK: Durable, add Burden Nimbed Boon Reduced to Difficulty to dispel effects.
Craft ___ ♦
- NEED: Proficiencies, must have Annex Boon Double Reduced appropriate Proficiencies (preferred for Descendant)
- LIMIT: May only affect Skills (including Descendants and Extras) or Halve Score
- SACRIFICE: Preparation, Ordeal cards with Pips equal to Annex Boon Reduced must be spent on Preparing the Annex - which are then discarded.
- SPECIAL: Delicate, Wounds that target the Annex gain a Level.
- FOCUS: The Annex is highly adaptable, programmable, changeable or controllable. Add a Success Level to any well described use at Ref's discretion.
- EXPAND: Add a Success Level Craft Boon Reduced times a day.
- REWARD: Preparation, Draw and play a card in preparation.
- TRICK: Delicate, add Craft Nimbed Boon Reduced to any Diamond played in Preparation or Creation.
Dominion ___ ♣
- NEED: Pact, must have a specific Pact Descendant of cost at least equal to Annex Boon.
- LIMIT: Maximum number of targets (Annex Boon Double Reduced as Yarn) if affecting more Targets Halve Score
- SACRIFICE: Political / Social (Dominion Umbral Boon Reduced Yang).
- SPECIAL: May only be used as directed or requested by another
- FOCUS: Mastery, add a Success Level when used with an additional appropriate Proficiency.
- EXPAND: Add a Success Level when affecting multiple Targets.
- REWARD: Political / Social (Gain Dominion Nimbed Boon Reduced Chi).
- TRICK: Area of effect, the Annex may affect an Area (see Sway Table) equal in size to the Dominion Nimbed Boon Reduced as Yarn.
Enigma _ _ ♥
- NEED: Secrecy, the Annex must be used in secret.
- LIMIT: When acting directly on a Target Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Occult (Enigma Umbral Boon Reduced Yin).
- SPECIAL: Questions, must ask Umbral Boon Reduced questions to activate.
- FOCUS: Add a Success Level when the User is unobserved or hidden.
- EXPAND: Add a Success Level to any Failures with this Annex.
- REWARD: Occult, the effect of this Annex is hidden, undetectable or untraceable (Difficulty to spot Enigma Nimbed Boon). In combat an attack (or defence) with this Nimbed requires extra Pips (equal to the Enigma Nimbed Boon Reduced) to defend (or penetrate).
- TRICK: Secretive, may play Preparation cards face down.
Fury ___ ♣
- NEED: Must be in a specific emotional state to activate (e.g. Angry).
- LIMIT: Must make noise or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Blood, Sweat & Tears (Annex Boon Double Reduced Success Levels Sacrificed on Failure).
- SPECIAL: All cards must be played on a single effect and target.
- FOCUS: Annex may set the Tone to the match Annex Root or Channel.
- EXPAND: Intimidation, add One Card Psychological Test (Fear)
- REWARD: Blood, Sweat & Tears, any Wound caused by the Annex is automatically aggravated One Level.
- TRICK: Furious, Annex may Play an additional card on the Annex's action.
Gossamer ___ ♠
- NEED: Must be used in a loud or windy environment.
- LIMIT: Physical contact with Target must be made or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Words, must speak Annex Boon Reduced syllables to activate.
- SPECIAL: Fumble, the Annex can go wrong if you roll minimum on the Gossamer Boon die. The Referee may control the Annex's action and make it attack the User or an Ally.
- FOCUS: Can use scenery, atmosphere, and weather to add a Success Level at Referee's discretion
- EXPAND: Strong, add Gossamer Nimbed Boon Reduced to Annex Boon.
- REWARD: Words, the Annex will allow a message of Gossamer Nimbed Boon Reduced Words to be transferred to the Target and for the Target to respond the same, during the Annex's action.
- TRICK: Bounces, may Draw and Play an additional card to pay for extra Targets (+3 Pips per Target). Defences with this Nimbed can bounce Gossamer Nimbed Boon Double Reduced cards back on the attacker once per Scene.
Heresy ___ ♥
- NEED: Communication, a message must be passed or spoken to the target.
- LIMIT: Cannot be used in Specific Circumstance or Environment or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Accuracy, never completely accurate. Will activate, but Opponent/Ref may Draw and Play Annex Boon Double Reduced Ordeal Cards to represent inaccuracy)
- SPECIAL: Fabrication, all effects can be undone, or destroyed, more easily (Umbral Boon Reduced from difficulty to dispel)
- FOCUS: Mislead, the Annex looks and acts like another type of Annex and can even leave Red Herring (Heresy Boon based) clues.
- EXPAND: Indirect, the Annex can work through another Character or Descendant. (E.g. Eelafin Senses can have this Nimbed allowing the Eelafin to perceive through the senses of nearby animals).
- REWARD: Accuracy, add Heresy Nimbed Boon Reduced as accidently discovered truths or Pips of Penetration or Range.
- TRICK: Feint, any time the Annex plays a Distract it may automatically Draw and Play another card.
Inertia _ _ ♠
- NEED: Relative Motion, Target and/or User must be moving.
- LIMIT: Score Halved if User is moving.
- SACRIFICE: Time, the User must wait (taking a Half-Action only) Annex Boon Double Reduced RT phases (or Pips are discarded on RT) before Activation.
- SPECIAL: Charging Time, the User of the Annex must charge as though in GRT equal to the Inertia Umbral Boon Double Reduced (1) before use. Charging Time reduces GRT after Activation.
- FOCUS: Relative Motion, if the User and Target are moving relative to each other add a Success Level.
- EXPAND: Causes motion in the Target (Inertia Nimbed Boon metres for small objects and Inertia Nimbed Boon Reduced for other Characters and larger objects).
- REWARD: Time, the target of the Annex (or the Defence that stops the Annex) is affected by an immediate GRT equal to the Inertia Nimbed Boon Double Reduced.
- TRICK: Momentum, any Spade with a face value lower or equal to Inertia Nimbed Boon Reduced x2 may add directly to the Pips of the card it is attacking with. E.g. Play a Five of Spades (Flesh) as preparation and then a Jack of diamonds (Crippling) to create a Carnage wound (and a random second card).
Jeer _ _ ♥
- NEED: Humour, someone must be laughing to Activate.
- LIMIT: Must make use of the Location and scenery or Halve Score
- SACRIFICE: Dignity, (Jeer Umbral Boon Reduced Yin).
- SPECIAL: Limited Duration (Jeer Umbral Boon as Yarn) after which effects may fade. (E.g. After a few minutes Wounds caused by the Annex will disappear)
- FOCUS: Humour, add Jeer Boon die to the Score/Pips if the action is humorous, funny or mimics another.
- EXPAND: The Annex has its effect regardless of any intervening obstacles or defences (unless those obstacles or defences have Annexes containing this Nimbed also). In combat, if the attack is successfully defended against (without this Nimbed) or fails because of Range then the Target immediately draws Jeer Nimbed Boon Double Reduced cards as unsoakable wounds.
- REWARD: Dignity (Gain Jeer Nimbed Boon Reduced Chi).
- TRICK: Hearts Flush, anytime the Annex plays more than one Heart all Hearts are one Level higher.
Key ___ ♠
- NEED: Information, User must have information about the target before Activation
- LIMIT: Mental effects only or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Thoughts, (Annex Boon Double Reduced Chi).
- SPECIAL: Must have a witnessable effect or leave traceable evidence.
- FOCUS: Information, the Annex will reveal Key Nimbed Boon Reduced pieces of information about the target that may be pertinent E.g. Handicaps, Umbrals, Personality, Geometry, I-Ching, etc.
- EXPAND: Penetrating, against targets with defences the Annex gains a Penetration bonus. All attacking Ordeal cards add Key Nimbed Boon Reduced Pips of Penetration.
- REWARD: Thoughts, (Gain Key Nimbed Boon Reduced Chi)
- TRICK: Straight, when playing cards any cards that form a sequence(e.g. Q♣,K♦,A♠) all count as the Highest Wound Level in the straight (or One Level Higher if they are all the same).
Liberty ___ ♥
- NEED: Unique use, cannot be used for the same effect twice.
- LIMIT: Creative effects only or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Destiny, discard a Wyrd Tarot or Yarn Card with Pips equal to the Annex Boon Double Reduced.
- SPECIAL: Easily Lost, Wounds automatically target the Annex when applying damage and add Liberty Umbral Boon Reduced to Pips of the Wound card.
- FOCUS: Unique use, the Annex can be used by others (up to Liberty Nimbed Boon Reduced) at the same time, the Annexes Umbrals effect each user individually.
- EXPAND: Ignore Liberty Boon Double Reduced Umbrals in this Annex.
- REWARD: Destiny, Draw Liberty Nimbed Boon Double Reduced cards and add them to your Wyrd Tarot Hand or Ordeal Pool.
- TRICK: Annex uses only half an Annex slot. Two Powers both with this Nimbed would fill one Power slot. This also reduces GRT for this Annex by 1.
Miasma _ _ ♠
- NEED: Handicap, must have a specific Handicap of Boon equal to Annex Boon reduced.
- LIMIT: May be used to negative effects only or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Youth, ages User Annex Boon Double Reduced as Yarn Extend Duration each use.
- SPECIAL: Corruption, the products and effects of the Annex look, smell and taste bad.
- FOCUS: Communicable: Spreads by contact Miasma Nimbed Boon Reduced times. In combat a Character with this Nimbed may draw and play an Ordeal card whenever a Character wounded by this Annex touches another up to Miasma Nimbed Boon Reduced times.
- EXPAND: Sickening, add One Card Psychological Test (Fear).
- REWARD: Youth, de-ages User Miasma Nimbed Boon Reduced as Yarn Extend Duration each use.
- TRICK: Corruption, Wounds caused by the Annex will automatically aggravate up one level each Phase of GRT to a maximum of Miasma Nimbed Boon Double Reduced (1-3 levels).
Nature _ _ ♥
- NEED: Life, can only affect living beings and materials.
- LIMIT: Halve Score when affecting Nature Umbral Boon Reduced Incarna
- SACRIFICE: Blood Sacrifice, automatically apply Annex Boon Double Reduced Flesh Wounds to the User .
- SPECIAL: Natural Ability. The Annex is always on and can never be turned off. In situations where the Annex would not be advantageous it will work against the User (e.g. Animal Senses could hurt the User if a Flashbang grenade goes off).
- FOCUS: Life, the Annex's effects are motile and responsive and will actively resist attempts to “dispel” it. Add Nature Reduced Boon to difficulty to dispel or Heal as inanimate objects dodge and wounds bite back.
- EXPAND: The Annex doubles its score when affecting Nature Boon Double Reduced Incarna, select the Incarna during Annex creation. In Combat if affecting a correct Incarna all Ordeal cards are added again (x2 damage becomes x3)
- REWARD: Blood Sacrifice, any time the Annex Draws a Distract you may immediately Discard and Draw again.
- TRICK: Natural Ability, the Annex grants the user resistance to similar Powers based on the Nature Nimbed Boon Reduced. E.g. A Venom Annex with Nature Nimbed Boon 17 would grant a +5 to any roll or Ordeal card to resist poisons, Venoms etc.
Orthodox _ _ ♦
- NEED: Specific Trigger, can only activate under specific circumstances.
- LIMIT: Will only work in a specific environment in all others Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Additional Annex Slot, The Annex fills a smaller additional slot (e.g. Talent uses Skill and Talent slot)
- SPECIAL: The effects of the Annex may be completely undone by a specific circumstance. E.g. The effects of a Vampiric power may be undone by killing the Vampire, or a magicians spells may be broken by spilling their blood.
- FOCUS: Facts, the Annex grants the user Orthodox Boon Reduced facts about the Target if successful.
- EXPAND: Grants Orthodox Boon in Yin if successful or in Yang if it fails.
- REWARD: Additional Annex Slot, the Annex automatically grants Orthodox Nimbed Boon Reduced Extra Proficiencies or add Orthodox Nimbed Boon Double Reduced Skill Annexes pertaining to the Master Annex. E.g. A Magic Lore Annex with Orthodox Boon 13 grants 4 extra Proficiency Slots, or 1 Skill slot.
- TRICK: Diamonds Flush, anytime the Annex plays more than one Diamond all Diamonds are one Level higher.
Phoenix ___ ♥
- NEED: Specific Incarna, can only Target Phoenix Umbral Boon Reduced Incarnas.
- LIMIT: Uncontrolled, Referee controls Annex or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Fuel, Food or Ammunition (Annex Boon Double Reduced Chi)
- SPECIAL: Recharge, roll over the Phoenix Umbral Boon Reduced on 1d8 to recharge the Annex after use. These recharge attempts have an RT equal to the Annex's normal GRT and a GRT of 0.
- FOCUS: Add the Phoenix Nimbed Boon die to the Annex Score. This can also be used to enhance the Pips of one card being played.
- EXPAND: The Annex may cause Phoenix Nimbed Boon Double Reduced Umbrals to affect the Annex Target in addition to the user. The Target must pay those Umbrals or exist in a state of GRT for the Phoenix Boon Reduced.
- REWARD: Fuel, Food or Ammunition (Gain Phoenix Nimbed Boon Reduced Chi)
- TRICK: All Hearts suit Ordeal Cards add Phoenix Boon Reduced Pips automatically when played in this Annex’s action.
Quiet _ _ ♦
- NEED: Tranquility, the User cannot be affected by strong emotions.
- LIMIT: Must be used silently or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Practice, the User must practice the Annex for Annex Boon Reduced hours each week for Quiet Umbral Boon Reduced Weeks before they can activate. Failure to Practice will stop Annex from Activating.
- SPECIAL: Must roll over the Quiet Umbral Boon Value on a d200, Yin may be spent on d6’s to increase the roll to activate the Annex.
- FOCUS: Subtle, The Annex's use can be so subtle that it may require days of study to determine the complete effects of the Annex. Whilst there will be an immediate obvious effect, there will be other more subtle effects at play. Add Quiet Boon Reduced to the Pips of all Ordeal cards 'prepared' with this Annex.
- EXPAND: The Annex automatically activates in response to certain stimuli. When activated by the “trigger” the use does not use up a character’s action. This Nimbed is required to allow an Annex or Descendant to be added to an Ordeal Proficiency / Initiative roll. RT applies but not GRT (see also Rook “Passive” Nimbed).
- REWARD: Practice, Draw Quiet Nimbed Boon Double Reduced Extra cards in the Annex's action.
- TRICK: Sets, the Annex may play multiple cards of the same Pips as though they were a single card. E.g. Playing 5♠, 5♣, 5♦, 8♠ and 8♥ counts as playing only Two cards.
Rook _ _ ♣
- NEED: Danger, will only activate if the Ordeal Stakes are High.
- LIMIT: Halve Score if used offensively.
- SACRIFICE: Success, cumulative -Rook Umbral Boon Reduced from the Score each time the Annex is used in a Scene.
- SPECIAL: Saving Throw, Target and User both roll Rook, if the Target rolls higher they receive a Proficiency in "Resist (this Annex)" (assuming they have a free Proficiency Slot) and the Score is Halved for this action.
- FOCUS: The effects of the Annex defend themselves rather than be dispelled. Wounds add Rook Nimbed Boon Reduced to their Pips for Healing, Descendants receive a "Defence" Skill with a Boon equal to the Rook Nimbed Boon.
- EXPAND: Passive. The Annex is rests between uses in a passive mode (using the last active roll's score). Senses and Defences often have this Nimbed. In combat a Defence such as Armour with this Nimbed is always able to play Rook Nimbed Boon Reduced Ordeal cards in defence from your pool.
- REWARD: Success, add One Success Level to any action or card Rook Nimbed Boon Reduced times per day.
- TRICK: Club Flush, any time the Annex plays more than one Club all Clubs are One Level Higher.
Sin ___ ♣
- NEED: Pain, will only activate if Wounds of Pips equivalent to Annex Boon Reduced are present in the Scene.
- LIMIT: Cannot be used for good or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Clips, after a limited number of uses must consume a Prop of Cost equal to at least Annex Boon Double Reduced + Sin Umbral Boon Reduced. Base number of Uses is 27-Sin Umbral Boon. Refs may allow larger clips that cost proportionally more.
- SPECIAL: Addictive for the user and must be use Sin Umbral Boon Reduced times a day or it operates at Half score until you achieve your uses per day again.
- FOCUS: Pain, Add a Success level when the Annex can affect a Handicap. In combat, the moment the target has been affected by a Mortal wound, or higher, you may immediately pull and play an additional Ordeal card.
- EXPAND: The target of the Annex is drained of Sin Boon points of Chi which the user receives.
- REWARD: Clips, (Gain Sin Nimbed Boon Reduced Chi).
- TRICK: Addictive for the Target, they enjoy the effect and want more regardless of damage that the Annex may cause (After the first use all additional uses gain Sin Nimbed Boon Reduced Pips of Penetration).
Trial ___ ♠
- NEED: Competition, will only activate if the Target is equivalent in Scale or higher.
- LIMIT: Halve Score when User is the Target.
- SACRIFICE: Peace of mind, (Trial Umbral Boon Reduced Yang).
- SPECIAL: Automatically wounds the Annex holder (User or Descendant). Trial Umbral Boon Reduced and multiplied by two gives the face value of the wound type required. e.g. 1-7 Distract, 8-11 Flesh, 12-15 Maim, 16-20 Crippling, 21-25 Mortal, 26 Carnage.
- FOCUS: Competition, any time you can match an Ordeal card played against you in Pips you may Draw and Play an additional card.
- EXPAND: Any time the Annex Wounds a Target (or their Descendants) immediately pull and play an additional Card.
- REWARD: Peace of mind, (Gain Trial Nimbed Boon Chi if the Annex succeeds).
- TRICK: Spades Flush, anytime the Annex plays more than one Spade all Spades are one Level higher.
Virtue _ _ ♦
- NEED: Last resort, will only activate as a last resort.
- LIMIT: Must be used to help another or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Power, (Annex Boon Double Reduced Chi) or connect to a power source.
- SPECIAL: Has 27- Virtue Umbral Boon uses and then must wait Annex Boon Double Reduced as Yarn on Sway table Extend Duration before another attempt.
- FOCUS: Beam, the Annex creates a narrow beam, anyone caught in the Beam counts as a potential Target. Draw one card and play it for Extra Targets (+3 each). The Beam will stop after the Extra Targets are paid for.
- EXPAND: The Virtue Boon Reduced may be added to the Annex’ score when taking the average, helping another or against defences.
- REWARD: Prayers, Annex may once per Story Miracle a test or increase all Ordeal cards played by the Annex to Jokers.
- TRICK: All Diamond Ordeal Cards add Virtue Nimbed Boon Reduced Pips automatically when played in this Annex’s action.
Wyrd _ _ ♣
- NEED: Doom, must have a Wyrd Tarot hand (or Yarn Cards) with Pips equal to Annex Boon Reduced.
- LIMIT: Only works in liminal spaces and times (e.g. At midnight, dusk, dawn, in a doorway or hedge) or Halve Score
- SACRIFICE: Mana (Annex Boon Double Reduced Chi).
- SPECIAL: All recent effects created by the Annex (Ref decides how recently) are instantly undone if the Annex is Crippled for any reason. E.g. A wizard that loses their Wizardry will lose his magical buffs and may even lose his summoned familiar or tower.
- FOCUS: Doom, Draw Wyrd Nimbed Boon Reduced Wyrd Tarot cards and play Wyrd Nimbed Boon Double Reduced immediately, discard the others.
- EXPAND: In Liminal Spaces and Times add One Success Level
- REWARD: Mana (The Annex generates Wyrd Boon Double Reduced Yarn or Twists each use).
- TRICK: Inevitable, if Wound cards played during the Annex's action fail to penetrate armour or defences, or if inevitable defences fail to stop a Wound, they Draw a card to replace the failed one and add Wyrd Nimbed Boon Reduced Pips.
Yonder _ _ ♠
- NEED: Space, a Location of size greater than the Annex Boon Double Reduced as Yarn.
- LIMIT: Must be at a minimum Range of Annex Boon Reduced metres or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Focus (Yonder Umbral Boon Reduced Yin).
- SPECIAL: Range is multiplied by 1+ Yonder Umbral Boon Reduced before calculation.
- FOCUS: Add Yonder Nimbed Boon Reduced Pips to any attack at range.
- EXPAND: As long as the Annex does not Physically affect the Target it may effectively ignore costs for Range. Referees may arbitrate, an ideal Nimbed for Communication Powers.
- REWARD: Focus (Gain Yonder Boon Reduced Chi)
- TRICK: Yonder Boon divides Range before difficulty is calculated. Confined is divided by Yonder Boon Reduced, Closed by Yonder Boon and Open by Yonder Value.
e.g. Boon 2=1/2/ 5 divides distance by 1 when Confined, 2 Closed and 5 when Open, where as Boon 13=4/13/66
Zeal ___ ♦
- NEED: Triggered Handicap of Boon at least equal to Annex Boon Double Reduced
- LIMIT: Must be used at the same time as another or after another Annex has been used in the Round or Halve Score.
- SACRIFICE: Motion, must move Annex Boon Reduced metres to Activate.
- SPECIAL: Effects are illusory or can be disbelieved. Targets can use Personality Annex to passively Defend or Soak.
- FOCUS: The Annex recovers rapidly, take Zeal Nimbed Boon Reduced from the Annex RT to a minimum of the normal GRT of that Annex, and take Zeal Nimbed Boon Double Reduced from GRT (to a minimum of 0).
- EXPAND: Powerful, Add Zeal Nimbed Boon Reduced to the Annex Boon.
- REWARD: Motion, Annex causes Motion in either the User or Target equal to Zeal Nimbed Boon metres for small Objects and Zeal Boon Reduced metres for Characters or larger.
- TRICK: The user of the Annex is completely immune to the effects of the Annex, even fumbles, bounced attacks or stolen Annexes cannot affect them.